Saturday, October 8, 2016

Sights and Sentiments from New York Comic Con 2016

It's that magical time of year again! That's right, it's time for the New York Comic Con! It's that wonderful event that those of us too poor/cheap to go to San Diego celebrate once a year. It's like Christmas for comic book geeks and while I can't always say I've been a good boy, it always feels like I get more presents than I deserve at NYCC.

This was a great year for so many reasons. Granted, it comes amidst tough times for X-men fans and Fantastic Four fans. I've documented just how much it sucks to be X-men and F4 fans in my various drunken reviews, but that didn't stop plenty of fans from dressing up as X-men and F4 characters. Even the power of Fox and Disney's lawyers can only go so far.

I even dressed up, albeit not in an overly-elaborate costume. I'm pretty sure I'd have done just as well pretending to be Mystique in disguise. It didn't matter to me though. I still got to sit in on some panels, meet up with some cos-players, and get a few autographs from my favorite writers, including the legend himself, Chris motherfucking Claremont. That alone made the trip awesome.

What made it even more awesome though was one simple observation. While there were plenty of X-men costumes to go around, you know who I didn't see? Any non-Kamala Khan costumes of the Racist Xenophobic Slave-Owners (also known as the Inhumans, but that title is a very poor depiction of just who and what they are). That's right. There were more Squirrel Girl and Booster Gold cos-players than there were for the Racist Xenophobic Slave-Owners. How sad/awesome is that?

By and large, there were fucktons of Deadpool and Harley Quinn costumes. Hell, those two are always popular, but their movies this year just inspired even more dedication. It was so much fun to see, especially for Deadpool. I think Ryan Reynolds would've shed tears of joy.

So by that measure, I'd say the NYCC is a win for the X-men and a loss for the Racist Xenophobic Slave-Owners. Hell, someone actually booed the big green fart cloud that's killing mutants at one of the panels. This motherfucker is my new hero and should be a hero to X-men fans everywhere. Whoever you are, I owe you a fuckton of beer!

There was so much to do and I only had a single fucking day pass. I hope to get more than that next year, but that didn't keep me from having a damn good time this year. Below are some of the moments I captured during this wonderful experience.



The first thing I saw when I came in. I was giddier than a school-girl on crack.


Gal Gadot's costume for the upcoming Wonder Woman movie. I could practically smell the awesome, among other things.


He is Groot. Nuff said!


Supergirl made out of Legos. Again, nuff said!


Deadpool and Hello Kitty. Further proof that Deadpool can be mixed with anything.


One of the MANY Harley Quinn cos-players. Bless their twisted hearts.


Sucks to be a Cyclops fan, but there are still those who carry on.


Been a tough year for Dr. Doom. Josh Trank gives him plenty of motivation to ensure that Infamous Iron Man is awesome.


There's always a place for the classics.


Stranger Things stole the show for all the right reasons. It's one of the few times where men and women wearing the same dress is entirely appropriate.


Powerful forms of Power Ranger artwork everywhere.


The man, the myth, the legend himself! Chris motherfucking Claremont after he signed my copy of Days of Future Past. Awesome guy. He seems to keep getting more awesome with age.


The dedication of cos-players never ceases to astonish me.


Don't know what this is. I just know it's awesome.


Punk rock Spider-Man. It's as awesome as it sounds.


Bruce Timm would be so proud. And probably a little horny.


X-23. Deadly, awesome, and carrying on Logan's legacy.


Ms. Marvel embodies everything the Racist Xenophobic Slave-Owners are NOT.


So many Deadpools. So many forms. So much awesome.


That's someone's actual costume. No bullshit. Give this guy a fucking medal and a hooker!


Chef from South Park had more representation than the Racist Xenophobic Slave-Owners. Nuff said!


Darth Vader fighting a dinosaur. Where else are you going to see something THIS awesome?


Still the greatest F4 movie ever made.


The ultimate Deadpool centerpiece. Pretty sure Ryan Reynolds has this in his living room.


So much pretty, sexy artwork.


Super Sayin for the ladies. Ladies libido now over 9000!


Video games, comics, movies. It doesn't matter. If there's a costume to be made, you'll find it here.


Ninjas and anime love a plenty!


Suicide Squad may have pissed off critics, but fans loved it enough to make costumes out of that. Take THAT Rotten Tomatoes!


Cyclops and Jean Grey are still popular among couples. Suck it Grant Morrison!


Supergirl was well-represented. Melissa Benoist would've been proud.


Had to have been hot in this costume. Just saying.


Crowds upon crowds of nerds. I felt right at home!


Good thing it didn't get too cold. This girl would've had problems.


You gotta admire the fans who make the extra effort.


Captain Marvel and the Carol Corps definitely had a presence this year.

So there you have it! That's a brief glimpse into the festivities of New York Comic Con 2016 through the eyes of a drunk. It's as much fun as it looks and sounds. I highly recommend every self-respecting comic book fan attend at least once in their lifetime. I'm convinced that I'll meet my future wife/ex-wife at one of these conventions. It wasn't this one, but I'm certainly open to the possibility. She'll probably be dressed as Wonder Woman, Jean Grey, Mystique, or Power Girl.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed that you see Kamala (i dont call Her Ms.Marvel, cause this is more asociated with Carol Denvers and i hate Carol Denvers) as everything that Inhuman scum isnt. Well, bad news, this thing seems going to end. I looked into solicttation for next months and Kamala is seen on side of Inhuman scum. Two posibilities:
    1)Writer is idiot.
    2)Queen bitch convinced her that mutants become (or maybe even that they always were) "evil" and just for the evuz, they want to kill all Inhuman scum.
    Actually, there is also thrid one. Its total Conspiracy theory, but there is also posibility that this fart cloud also slowly changing mind of all turned to Inhuman scum into totaly obidient drones of Inhuman scums Royal pain. Like i sayd, just Conspiracy theory, but is kind of strange that all turned are so hapy with their new state, no mather how big Cronenbergs they become and like i mentionedbefore, are totaly obidient to Medusa, Crastal, Gorgon and other Racist Xenofobic (shouldnt we into it also add Genocidal?) Slaveowners.
    Ps. If you dont know what i mean by Cronenbergs, look to Rick and Morty Season 1 Episode 6 - Rick Potion #9

    ReplyDelete